TITLE: Safety and Security (S&S) Manager
REPORTS TO: Country Director
SUPERVISES: Regional Safety & Security Personnel
Safety & Security will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently or intensively because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the background checking / vetting process for staff.
The S&S Manager supports the Country Director and designated staff in identifying, analyzing, and mitigating risk in order to facilitate access for humanitarian programming in Ukraine and to ensure ADRA operates within acceptable S&S risk levels.
Safety & Security Management
- Ensuring that the country office is compliant with the ADRA Safety and Security Policy and any other relevant Safety and Security standards, directives, and any other indicators.
- Conduct regular Security Risk Assessments (jointly with relevant Managers and Team) for areas of program operations, locations and other areas of risk.
- Develop and maintain the Safety and Security Management Plan and SOPs for the country office, and ensure relevant staff are familiar with its contents.
- Develop scenario planning for security and safety risk manag
- Provide proactive safety security management advice, guidance and support.
- Provide day-to-day Safety and Security Management, and assurance, including: situation monitoring, information sharing and reporting, implementing mitigation measures, reporting, and evaluatio
- Foster a ‘security culture’ within ADRA Ukraine.
- Identify, analyze and manage key relationships in Ukraine that will facilitate access program activities.
- Advise senior management on adherence to humanitarian principles. Ensure all staff are aware of humanitarian principals and mandate, mission and code of conduct for ADRA Ukraine.
- Advise on visibility and communications approaches.
- Conduct security / access assessments of new areas of operation, advising senior management and program teams
- Build and maintain networks for information sharing and coordination among other INGOs, local authorities and others.
- Maintain oversight of the operational, security and cultural context in areas of operation, and advise others on contextual factors.
- Compile and write regular reports for both internal and external audiences.
- Provide input in the development of proposals, strategy and other analysis for the Ukraine programs.
- Report incidents affecting the programs on a timely and accurate manner. Lead on lessons learned following incidents or near misses.
- Develop and maintain: Safety & Security Plan for ADRA Ukraine
- Assist HR/Country Office in developing comprehensive evacuation plan.
- In the event of a critical incident, form part of the Crisis/Incident Management Team.
- Ensure that all staff, receive safety and security trainings, orientations, briefings appropriate to their roles and as determined by the assessed risks in Ukraine.
- Develop and deliver capacity building through Safety and Security Training Plan for all staff.
- Play a key role in building the capacity of each Security staff, consistent with the assessed needs. Undertake assessments of partner security management capacity and develop capacity building plans and proposals for them.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- 3+ years of experience in Security Management, including international experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels, establish information and security networks, and coordinate with country authorities, donors, International Organizations and local NGOs.
- Experience of working in hostile environments.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work autonomously in a highly stressful and challenging environment, balancing between multiple competing priorities.
- Proven ability to undertake Security Risk assessments.
- Ability to formulate and communicate analysis of a changing security environment.
- Proven skills in concise and succinct report writing.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Fluent in Ukrainian (written and spoken).
- Experience in other areas of NGO operations, i.e. logistics, operations, technical sectors.
- Previous experience as an NGO Security Adviser / Manager.
- Experience in designing and delivering Training.
- Operational experience in war / disaster affected environments with NGO, military, police or other background.
- Additional language(s) – ideally English